Yoakum County Small Claims Court, Texas

Small Claims Court cases for Yoakum are heard in 2 LOCATIONS throughout Yoakum County.

Yoakum County Small Claims Court

Yoakum County Small Claims Court

How are trials conducted?

The trial is relatively informal compared to a normal trial. This allows the trials to be conducted in a much more informal fashion. Generally the judge will ask questions to help develop the facts and understand the context and circumstances surrounding the case. Trials generally are pretty short (15-20 minutes). If a jury trial is required, the trial could last a few hours.

Can I appeal my case?

Appeals are allowed if the amount of the award exceeds $250.00.

Can I file my small claims case in Yoakum County?

You should file your action in the County and specific Precinct where the defendants reside or where the defendant has contracted to perform. (Government Code Section 28.011).

Can I hire an attorney?

In Texas, small claims parties generally represent themselves without an attorney. The reasoning behind this is because the amount is $10,000 or less, hiring an attorney becomes cost prohibitive. However, you are allowed to retain one if you choose.

Small Claims Court Jurisdiction

A plaintiff cannot demand more than $10,000 in their action. (Texas Government Code 28.093). Another restriction of small claims court is that a plaintiff can only seek monetary relief (an award of money). You are unable to seek injunctive or equitable relief. Say your landscaper breaks a sprinkler head. You can ask the court for money to replace the sprinkler head, but you cannot ask the court for an order requiring the landscaper to physically replace the sprinkler head. This type of relief would be injunctive relief.


Small claims cases in Yoakum County are heard in front of the justice of the peace for Yoakum County.

Small Claims Court Clerk

The clerk at the courthouse can be an excellent resource for your case. This will ensure the courthouse is open and someone is available to assist with the filing of your claim. Remember, the court clerk is trained to assist with procedural questions, but is not able to give legal advice.

Types of Cases

Most cases for the recovery of money can be heard in small claims court. Cases include damages from an automobile accident, a security deposit from a landlord, or breach of a contract. However, small claims court cannot handle assignments of claims (where one person transfers their interest in an action to another), a divorce proceedings, and cases filed by collection agencies or agents.

Yoakum County Court Locations

The precinct map for Yoakum County can be found here.

Precinct 1 Place 1 Courthouse in the City of Plains

This courthouse is located at:

P O Box 532
Plains, TX 79355-0532

This courthouse handles cases for Precinct 1 Place 1. The court’s website can be found here. The phone number for the court is (806)456-7491 – ext. 2 .

Precinct 2 Place 1 Courthouse in the City of Denver City

This courthouse is located at:

201 N Main St
Denver City, TX 79323-3239

This courthouse handles cases for Precinct 2 Place 1. The court’s website can be found here. The phone number for the court is (806)592-3963. And you can email the court by clicking here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *