Goliad County Small Claims Court, Texas

Where do I file my small claims court case?

The action is generally filed in the County and Precinct where the defendants reside (where they live) or where location where the Defendants contracted themselves to perform. (Texas Government Code Section 28.011).

Types of Cases

A variety of cases are handled in small claims court. Cases include damages from an automobile accident, a security deposit from a landlord, or breach of a contract. The only types of cases that are prohibited are an assignment of a claim (whereby you transfer your interest in a case for someone else to collect), a divorce, or a case filed by a collection agency or agents.

Can I hire an attorney?

In Texas, small claims parties generally represent themselves without an attorney. This is because cases involving $10,000 or less usually do not justify the cost of an attorney. Nevertheless, you are allowed to retain one if you desire. (Texas Government Code Section 28.003).

Are Appeals Allowed?

Appeals are allowed if the amount of the award exceeds $250.00.

What can I expect at trial?

Unlike regular civil trials, small claims court rules do not follow the Rules of Evidence. This allows the trials to be conducted in a much more informal fashion. Generally the judge will ask questions to help develop the facts and understand the context and circumstances surrounding the case. It will likely be pretty quick. However, if a party wishes for a jury trial, it will likely last a few hours.

Judges for Small Claims Court Cases in Goliad County

A Justice of the Peace for Goliad County hears small claims court cases for Goliad County. Small Claims Court cases for Goliad are heard in 2 LOCATIONS throughout Goliad County.

Goliad County Small Claims Court
Goliad County Small Claims Court

Small Claims Court Jurisdiction

A plaintiff cannot demand more than $10,000 in their action. (Texas Government Code 28.093). Additionally, a small claims court plaintiff can only ask the court for monetary relief. You cannot seek injunctive relief. Say your landscaper breaks a sprinkler head. You can ask the court for money to replace the sprinkler head, but you cannot ask the court for an order requiring the landscaper to physically replace the sprinkler head. This type of relief would be injunctive relief.

Goliad County Court Clerk

We recommend contacting the Goliad County court clerk before proceeding down to the courthouse to file your action. The clerk is an excellent resource for the procedure for small claims court cases in Texas but also any procedures specific to that County or courthouse. It is recommended that you contact the clerk’s office to ensure the courthouse is open during the hours you want to visit. While the clerk can help you with procedural issues, the clerk is not able to give legal advice. They will direct you to an attorney if answering your question would require that.

Goliad County Court Locations

Precinct 1 Courthouse in the City of Goliad

This courthouse is located at:

P O Box 678
Goliad, TX 77963-0678

This courthouse handles cases for Precinct 1. The court’s website can be found here. The phone number for the court is (361)645-3663.

Precinct 2 Courthouse in the City of Goliad

This courthouse is located at:

P O Box 25
Goliad, TX 77963

This courthouse handles cases for Precinct 2. The court’s website can be found here. The phone number for the court is (361)645-3320. And you can email the court by clicking here.

Leave a Comment