Westchester County Small Claims Court

Westchester County Small Claims Court

Mediation of Small Claims Court Cases in Westchester County

Mediation is a confidential, non-binding dispute resolution program in which an impartial mediator attempts to bring both parties together to a mutually acceptable outcome. A judge may refer a case to mediation if both parties agree. In Westchester County, the program used for mediation is:

The Westchester Mediation Center of CLUSTER
20 South Broadway, Suite 501
P. O. Box 1248
Yonkers, NY 10702
(914) 963-6500
If mediation does not resolve the issue, the case continues in small claims court. Note: If parties agree, they can enter mediation even before a case is filed. There is usually no charge for mediation (but there may be a small filing fee).

Small Claims Court Cases in Westchester County

Westchester County Small Claims Court

Westchester County Small Claims Court

Small Claims Court cases are heard in the town or village court for Westchester County. One can sue for $3,000.00 or less in a town or village court in Westchester County. The purpose of small claims court and the motivation behind the relaxed evidentiary rules and procedures is to allow these cases to be resolved informally and without making a party hire an attorney. If your claim exceeds $3,000, you may not split them into two separate claims to bring it under the limit. The only relief available in small claims court cases is monetary. You cannot ask the court to order a defendant to do something (like fix your property damage or fulfill the terms of a contract). You can only sue to recover money. You are also able to sue a municipality (city, village, town, or county) and other public agencies, but the law requires you to give notice before you sue them. Notice must be given within 90 days of the incident which gives rise to your case. If you do not provide notice within this window, your case will be dismissed.

How a Small Claims Court Case Begins

The case has to be filed at the court location. Visit the court for that town or village, and the court will provide you with the paperwork to begin the action. One section of the form will ask for a statement of the case. The statement is a fancy way of asking what your case is about. This should be brief and include all important facts. You should note in the statement of the case if you are requesting interest (which happens if your case concerns property damage or a contract specifies an interest amount). A court will generally have a clerk who is available to assist with questions regarding the forms (and answer other questions). If a court does not have a clerk, generally the judge is available to help you with these questions.
The clerk will provide the time and date for the small claims court hearing. The clerk will “serve” the notice of claim by mailing it to the defendant (this is what part of your filing fee funds). This notice informs a defendant the time and location of the hearing and states the reason for the claim being made by plaintiff. The clerk sends the notice via certified and first-class mail. Once 21 days have passed, the defendant is deemed “served” unless the first-class item was returned undeliverable. If the defendant cannot be served by mail, the clerk can provide you with instructions on how to serve the defendant personally (the clerk will give you a new hearing date and time). Pursuant to due process, a hearing cannot occur until the defendant has been served. The court will dismiss the case if the defendant cannot be served within four months. Dismissal is without prejudice meaning you can refile if you learn new information that the defendant is still residing in that village or town.

Hearing Day Procedures

We recommend arriving to court at least fifteen minutes before your hearing. Upon arriving, you should look for the small claims court calendar (or a clerk if there is no calendar). Cases are listed on the calendar by the last name of the plaintiff and the last name of the defendant (or full name of the business or other entity). If you are unable to find your case on the calendar, you should contact the court clerk (or judge if there is no court clerk). Courtrooms have different procedures. In some courtrooms, the clerk checks in parties as they arrive. Some courts simply have you wait until your case is called.
When the judge or clerk calls your case, you should be prepared to tell the judge if you are ready for the case to proceed, ask for a continuance if you want one (and be ready to state a good reason for one), or any other request you may need to make. If both parties are ready, the case will proceed.

Jury Trials in Small Claims Court

Only the defendant can demand a jury trial in small claims court cases. This demand can be made at any time prior to the hearing date. The defendant must file an affidavit stating the issues of fact the jury is to decide. The judge can either transfer the case to the regular civil part of the court (where regular evidentiary rules apply) or remain in small claims court. If the case remains in regular small claims court, six jurors are used to hear the case.

Can I hire an attorney to represent me in small claims court?

You are not required to hire an attorney for a small claims court case. In fact, the rules and procedures are designed to be informal so that you should not have to retain an attorney. A party does have a right to retain an attorney if he, she, or it wishes. If there are attorneys representing both parties, the case may be transferred to the regular civil part of the court.

Small Claims Court Lingo

The party is a person, business, or other entity involved in a court case (on either side of the “v.” in the case name). A “plaintiff” or “claimant” is the party who brings or initiates the action in Small Claims Court. A “defendant” is the party that is being sued. Sometimes, a third party (not the plaintiff or defendant) is brought into the case where a defendant files a third party claim asserting that another party is responsible for plaintiff’s damages. If you are interested in filing a third party claim (as a defendant), contact the local clerk for the filing fees and local procedures.

Can I sue in small claims court?

Small clams court is open to any party who is a person 18 years of age or older. If someone is younger than 18, a parent or legal guardian is able to bring an action on behalf of the minor. Usually, corporations, partnerships, or other assignees are unable to sue in Small Claims Court (but they can bring an action in Commercial Claims Court which is located at the same court where your small claims court case would normally be filed). However, these entities are able to be sued in small claims court by people. When a business, corporation, or other entity is sued, the entity is able to authorize a person (usually an employee, director, or attorney) to appear on its behalf.

Appeals for Small Claims Court Cases

A party has 30 days from the date of the judgment to file a notice of appeal (or 35 days if you were mailed the court’s judgment). There are additional fees you need to file as well as determining whether a transcript of the case needs to be ordered. The small claims court clerk has specific information regarding fees associated with appeals. A court will only overturn a judgment if it is “clearly erroneous.” This is why we recommend consulting an attorney to determine if an appeal is appropriate.

What happens if I don’t show up for the hearing?

If you are the plaintiff, your case is dismissed. If the defendant fails to appear at the hearing, the court may grant a default judgment based on the evidence that the plaintiff presented. Court rules require that the judge not enter a default judgment until one hour after the time set for the hearing.

What are the filing costs for a case in Westchester County?

In this County, the filing see is $10 (if the amount asked for is $1,000 or less) and $15 (if the claim exceeds $1,000).

How do I counterclaim against the plaintiff?

A defendant may file a counterclaim against a plaintiff. If the counterclaim is filed within five days of being served with the initial claim, the hearing date remains the same. There is a $3 filing fee. Note: you can still file your claim after the five day window, but the judge then has the option of pushing back the hearing date (but no longer than twenty days). As the plaintiff, you have a right to ask for a continuance in this case.

Where are the Small Claims Courts located in Westchester County?

Each town and village has its own court to handle cases from there. Westchester County Small Claims Cases are handled in 37 locations for the following towns and villages: Ardsley Village, Bedford Town, Briarcliff Manor Village, Bronxville Village, Buchanan Village, Cortlandt Town, Croton-on-Hudson Village, Dobbs Ferry Village, Eastchester Town, Elmsford Village, Greenburgh Town, Harrison Town, Hastings-on-Hudson Village, Irvington Village, Larchmont Village, Lewisboro Town, Mamaroneck Town, Mamaroneck Village, Mount Kisco Town, Mount Pleasant Town, New Castle Town, North Castle Town, North Salem Town, Ossining Town, Ossining Village, Pelham Town, Pleasantville Village, Port Chester Village, Pound Ridge Town, Rye Town, Scarsdale Town, Scarsdale Village, Sleepy Hollow Village, Somers Town, Tarrytown Village, Tuckahoe Village, and Yorktown Town.

The locations for the courts are:

Ardsley Village Court

505 Ashford Avenue
Ardsley, NY 10502

Bedford Town Court

321 Bedford Road
Bedford Hills, NY 10507

Briarcliff Manor Village Court

1111 Pleasantville Road
Briarcliff Manor, NY 10510

Bronxville Village Court

200 Pondfield Road
Bronxville, NY 10707

Buchanan Village Court

236 Tate Avenue
Buchanan, NY 10511

Cortlandt Town Court

One Heady Street
Cortlandt Manor, NY 10566

Croton-on-Hudson Village Court

Van Wyck Street
Municipal Building
Croton-on-Hudson, NY 10520

Dobbs Ferry Village Court

112 Main Street
Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522

Eastchester Town Court

40 Mill Road
Eastchester, NY 10707

Elmsford Village Court

15 South Stone Avenue
Elmsford, NY 10523

Greenburgh Town Court

188 Tarrytown Road
White Plains, NY 10607

Harrison Town Court

1 Heineman Place
Municipal Building
Harrison, NY 10528

Hastings-on-Hudson Village Court

7 Maple Ave
Village Court, Municipal Building
Hastings-on-Hudson, NY 10706

Irvington Village Court

85 Main Street
Irvington, NY 10533

Larchmont Village Court

120 Larchmont Avenue
Municipal Building
Larchmont, NY 10538

Lewisboro Town Court

11 Main Street
PO Box 500
South Salem, NY 10590

Mamaroneck Town Court

740 West Boston Post Road
Mamaroneck, NY 10543

Mamaroneck Village Court

169 Mt Pleasant Avenue
Mamaroneck, NY 10543

Mount Kisco Town Court

40 Green Street
Mount Kisco, NY 10549

Mount Pleasant Town Court

1 Town Hall Plaza
Valhalla, NY 10595

New Castle Town Court

200 South Greeley Avenue
Chappaqua, NY 10514

North Castle Town Court

15 Bedford Road
Armonk, NY 10504

North Salem Town Court

266 Titicus Road
PO Box 365
North Salem, NY 10560

Ossining Town Court

86 Spring Street
Ossining, NY 10562

Ossining Village Court

86 Spring St
Ossining, NY 10562

Pelham Town Court

34 Fifth Avenue
Pelham, NY 10803

Pleasantville Village Court

80 Wheeler Avenue
Pleasantville, NY 10570

Port Chester Village Court

350 North Main Street
Port Chester, NY 10573

Pound Ridge Town Court

179 Westchester Avenue
Town Office
Pound Ridge, NY 10576

Rye Town Court

10 Pearl Street
Port Chester, NY 10573

Scarsdale Town Court

1001 Post Road
Scarsdale, NY 10583

Scarsdale Village Court

1001 Post Road
Scarsdale, NY 10583

Sleepy Hollow Village Court

28 Beekman Avenue
Sleepy Hollow, NY 10591

Somers Town Court

335 Route 202
Somers, NY 10589

Tarrytown Village Court

One Depot Plaza
Tarrytown, NY 10591

Tuckahoe Village Court

65 Main Street
Tuckahoe, NY 10707

Yorktown Town Court

2295 Crompond Road
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

What is the correct name for the defendant?

If the defendant is a person, you should use the first and last name of the defendant and not a nickname. You will also have to provide their address. You should make it a habit to collect this information from all people you deal with. Businesses can be slightly more difficult because you may not know the structure of the business. Contact the Westchester County Clerk’s Office. They will be able to provide you with the business’s correct legal name.

Should I use arbitration for my small claims court case?

Arbitration is a dispute resolution process that is binding. In arbitration, an arbitrator, who is often an experienced attorney, hears arguments, weighs evidence, and issues a final judgment on the merits of a claim. Arbitration can only be used when all parties agree (as the outcome is binding on all parties). If you do choose arbitration, your case can be heard far quicker than waiting for a judge to hear it (which is something to keep in mind if you want a quick resolution to your case). Arbitrators use the same law as the small claims court judge. When an arbitrator decides your case, the decision is final. There is no appeal-by either party.

Can I file my small claims case in County?

You must bring your action in the municipality (location – village or town) in which the person or business you are suing resides (lives) or has an office open for business.

Can I ask for a continuance?

In small claims court cases, a continuance can also be called an adjournment. These are discouraged as the purpose of small claims court is a quick, efficient way of resolving disputes. The only person with the power to move the hearing date is the court (even if both parties agree). If you want a continuance, you can ask the court through mail. You should send a copy of the request to all the parties involved in the case as well. You can also ask for a continuance on the actual day of the hearng, but the court may be inclined to deny it (because you waited so long to ask for one). Always be prepared to go forward on that date in case the court denies your request.


  1. Marita says:

    The two leaders sat near one end of david cameron the coalition government,
    the proposal was ridiculed by Lib Dem MP Martin Horwood, who said
    heads of government in the conference’s host country. For the success of the European
    Central Bank saying in London on March 30.

  2. Ed McQuade says:

    I suffered a slip & fall in flooded men’s room at Chilis in Baldwin Place,NY on 4/15/14. I suffer from psoriatic arthritis & had a hip replacement late 2013. Did not fracture anything luckily but a real setback with terrible pain. have been offered $500 & from Liberty Mutual. May I sue them in small claims for my pain & suffering?

  3. Nicole says:

    A painter did not finish a job to my satisfaction. Didn’t paint certain areas. He got paint all over my hardwood floors, he painted over towel racks, decorative tiles, stone pavers, left parts of rooms unpainted. Brush marks everywhere. His address is in peekskill, can I file small claim in any town in westchester county? Overestimated paint needs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *