Sullivan County Small Claims Court

Sullivan County Small Claims Court

Do I have to hire an attorney?

You do not have to hire an attorney to represent you in small claims court (even if you are a business). The procedures and rules for small claims court are actually designed to be simple and informal so that a party does not have to hire an attorney and should be able to represent themselves. A plaintiff or defendant can choose to hire an attorney if he or she chooses. Sometimes, when a plaintiff and a defendant have both retained attorneys, the court can transfer the case from small claims to the regular civil part.

How do I find the correct name for the Defendant?

If the defendant is a person, your job is pretty easy. Use the first and last name of the defendant (do not use their nickname). You should also be able to provide the address of the defendant. Businesses are more tricky because sometimes you do not know how the business is structured. If you contact the Sullivan County Clerk’s Office, they will be able to provide you with the proper business name.

Should I use mediation for my small claims case?

Mediation is an attempt to settle your case without a trial. It is a consifential way to resolve the case. Mediation involved a person acting as a mediator who will try and bring opposing parties to an agreement that all the parties can agree to. In Sullivan County, mediation services are provided by:

Dispute Resolution Center, Inc.


  1. Bernard Beck says:

    I would like to challege the determination I received from the Town of Thompson Board of Assessment Review. Please tell me how to do this in Small Claim Court.
    Thank you

  2. jeff says:

    What is the maximum amount of damages for small claims court in Sullivan County? If my damages are greater than this maximum, is the court I would need to go to still located in Sullivan County? Is it in Monticello?
    Thank you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *