Solano County Small Claims Court, California

How long does it take my case to be heard?

Solano County has its own Superior Court. The amount of time between when the claim is filed and heard varies between each County (and even within each County). Generally, you will go to court between twenty and seventy days after the claim is filed. Because of state cuts to the Solano County Superior Court budget, most hearings are set well past the seventy days.

What is Small Claims Court?

Small claims court is a special court where disputes between parties are handled quickly and inexpensively. The rules for small claims court cases in Solano County are the same for any county in California. These rules are meant to be simpler than a regular civil case so that a non-lawyer can understand and represent himself or herself in court. The person who files the lawsuit or action is called the plaintiff. The party who is being sued is known as the defendant. For small claims court cases in California, neither the plaintiff or the defendant is allowed to hire an attorney to represent them at the hearing. However, you are able to consult and speak with an attorney before or after the small claims court hearing.

Statute of Limitations in Small Claims Court Cases

All cases must be filed before a certain deadline called the statute of limitations. Statute of limitations is a legal term for the deadline to file a case. The statute of limitations is different depending on the type of case. If the case involves personal injury to you, the case must be filed within two years of the injury or two years of when you first learned of the injury. (A child has two years from the date of his or her eighteenth birthday). If the case involves an oral contract which was broken or breached, you have two years from the date of the breach to file your action. If there is a written contract, the plaintiff has three years to file the case from the date the defendant breached the contract. If you were the victim of fraud, you have three years from when you first learn of the fraud to file your case. It can be very difficult to find out when the statute of limitations begins to run. It is far better to file the case and let the judge decide, rather than filing too late and having it dismissed.

Can I hire an attorney?

No. A party cannot be represented by anyone else (including an attorney). However, you are able to talk to an attorney before or after the small claims court trial to answer questions and discuss strategy.

Limits on Solano County Small Claims Court

The most a person can sue for in small claims court is $10,000. A business can only sue for $5,000 or less in small claims court. A party can only file two actions that are more than $2,500 in a year. A person can file as many claims asking for $2,500 or less.

Solano County Small Claims Court Locations

Small Claims Court cases are heard in 2 courthouses across the County. The website address for Solano County Superior Court is: Here are the following locations where Small Claims Court cases are heard in Solano County:

Hall of Justice

The Hall of Justice is located at:

600 Union Ave.
Fairfield, CA 94533

The phone number is: 707-207-7335

Vallejo Branch Court – Solano Justice Building

The Vallejo Branch Court – Solano Justice Building is located at:

321 Tuolumne St.
Vallejo, CA 94590

The phone number is: 707-207-7335

Can I file my claim in Solano County?

Usually, a claim must be filed in the County where the person or business being sued resides. Exceptions to this include automobile accidents (which can be filed where the accident happened). A person can file an action in small claims court if that person is at least 18 years old or a child who has been emancipated. If someone is under eighteen or not mentally competent, the judge can appoint a person (usually a relative) as a guardian ad litem to act on that person’s behalf throughout the case. A guardian ad litem is an adult appointed by the court to represent that person only for that case.

Filing Fee for Small Claims Court cases in Solano County

The filing fee is required to be paid by the plaintiff when the claim is filed with the court. The amount of the filing fee is relative to the amount the plaintiff is seeking. If a party has filed twelve or less claims over the past twelve months, the fee is:

  • $0 to $1,500 – $30
  • $1,500 to $5,000 – $50
  • $5,000 to $10,000 – $75

If a party has filed twelve or more small claims court actions over the last twelve months, the filing fee is $100.

How can I prepare for my Small Claims Court Hearing?

Solano County Small Claims Court
Solano County Small Claims Court
Cases in Solano County are often scheduled with a number of other small claims court cases. The court’s schedule is busy and because of this scheduling, you will only have a few minutes to present your case. (You can pay attention to the cases that are heard before you). It is essential to spend time preparing your case in advance. This means organizing and bringing all paperwork and other documents that support your side (receipts, contracts, pictures, etc.). Make sure you bring any witnesses you need to the hearing if they are necessary to prove your case. Being prepared for the hearing is half the battle. After the judge has heard both sides, the judge may either make a decision at the hearing or later and send notice of the ruling to the parties by mail.

What is Mediation for Small Claims Court?

You may be asked to have your mediated before the trial. Mediation is a legal term which means that each side will have a discussion with an impartial third party to try and reach an agreement for the outcome of the case. Mediation may be offered before your trial or the very same day of the trial. Mediation may work for your case, but at the very least, it will give you the chance to explain your case to someone (before you explain it to the judge).

What types of cases are filed in Solano County Small Claims Court?

Many different types of cases can be filed in small claims court. The most common types are automobile accidents, property damage, rent deposit disputes, homeowners association disputes, and contractor disputes.

3 thoughts on “Solano County Small Claims Court, California”

  1. I am having a billing dispute with Verizon. I had been a faithful customer for over 23 years with them. One of their chain stores was deceptive to me last June while I was on vacation. I am a senior and was tricked into receiving equipment that I never used. Plus I had three other phone lines attached to my account after that incident. Thank you, HH

  2. I am curious as to whether or not I ca file a claim against a car rental agency within the county or would I have to utilize an outside source.
    Thank you

  3. I would like to file a claim against my property management company. Please let me know where to locate the forms and the process. I would like to file as soon as possible. I can be reached at 510 928 8185, or emailed at the email address above.


Leave a Comment