San Joaquin County Small Claims Court, California

San Joaquin County Small Claims Court Locations

In San Joaquin County, small claims court cases are heard in 1 courthouse across the County. The website address for San Joaquin County Superior Court is: Here are the following locations where Small Claims Court cases are heard in San Joaquin County:

Stockton Courthouse

The Stockton Courthouse is located at:

222 E. Weber Ave.
Stockton, CA 95202

The phone number is: 209-468-2949

Small Claims Court Mediation

You may be asked to have your mediated before the trial. Mediation is a procedure where each side discusses the case with a third party (called the mediator), and the mediator tries to reach an agreement that both sides agree to. Mediation can occur before the trial or even on the same day as your trial. Mediation may work for your case, but at the very least, it will give you the chance to explain your case to someone (before you explain it to the judge).

How long does it take my case to be heard?

Each Superior Court is responsible for one County. The amount of time between when the claim is filed and heard varies between each County (and even within each County). Generally, you will go to court between twenty and seventy days after the claim is filed. However, because of state cuts to the court’s budget, most hearings are now being set well past the seventy day mark.

Filing Fee for Small Claims Court cases in San Joaquin County

The plaintiff must pay a filing fee when the claim is filed. If you filed twelve or less claims over the past twelve months, the filing fee is:

  • $0 to $1,500 – $30
  • $1,500.01 to $5,000.00 – $50
  • $5,000.01 to $10,000.00 – $75

Once a party has filed twelve cases within twelve months, each consecutive case has a $100 filing fee.

How can I prepare for my Small Claims Court Hearing?

San Joaquin County Small Claims Court
San Joaquin County Small Claims Court
Your case will probably be on the same calendar and heard at the same time as a number of other small claims court cases. Often, the court’s schedule is very busy, and the court will expect you to present your argument in just a few minutes. (It is usually smart to pay attention to the cases heard before yours to see which issues and questions the judge asks the parties). It is important to prepare for your case beforehand. This means organizing and bringing all paperwork and other documents that support your side (receipts, contracts, pictures, etc.). Make sure you bring any witnesses you need to the hearing if they are necessary to prove your case. Ensuring that you are prepared for your case goes along way to securing a successful outcome. After each side has had the opportunity to present its side, the court will make a decision. The court will either make its ruling immediately, or notify both sides of its decision through the mail (make sure your address with the court is correct).

How much time do I have to file my case?

All cases must be filed by a certain deadline called the statute of limitations. This is a legal term which simply means the deadline for which you must file your claim. The time limit varies depending on the type of the case. If the case involves personal injury to you, the case must be filed within two years of the injury or two years of when you first learned of the injury. (A minor has two years from his or her eighteenth birthday). If the case involves an oral contract which was broken or breached, you have two years from the date of the breach to file your action. If a written contract was broken, you have three years from when the agreement was broken. If you were the victim of fraud, you have three years from when you first learn of the fraud to file your case. It can be very difficult to find out when the statute of limitations begins to run. It is better to file sooner, rather than later, and let the judge decide.

San Joaquin County Small Claims Court

Small Claims Court is a special court whose purpose is to handle cases an efficient, inexpensive fashion. Each County in California follows the same rules and procedures for small claims court cases. The rules are designed to be less complex and more less formal when compared to general civil cases. The party who files the action or claim is known as the plaintiff. The party who is being sued is known as the defendant. In California small claims court cases, neither party can hire an attorney to represent them at the hearing. But, each party can talk to and ask questions to an attorney before or after the hearing if they wish.

Which cases are filed in San Joaquin County?

The general rule is the case or claim must be filed in the County where the defendant resides. Exceptions to this include automobile accidents (which can be filed where the accident happened). A party may file the claim in small claims court if that party is at least eighteen years old. A party can file as someone less than eighteen if he or she has been emancipated. If you are under 18 or not mentally competent, the judge must appoint a guardian at litem to represent you in small claims court. A guardian ad litem is an adult appointed by the court to represent that person only for that case.

San Joaquin County Small Claims Court Limits

A person cannot sue in small claims court for more than $10,000.00. A business can only sue for $5,000 or less in small claims court. An individual can only file two small claims court cases for more than $2,500.00 in one year. A party can file as many cases in small claims court with an amount of $2,500 or less.

Types of San Joaquin County Small Claims Court Cases

All types of cases can be filed in small claims court. The most common types are automobile accidents, property damage, rent deposit disputes, homeowners association disputes, and contractor disputes.

Can I hire a lawyer?

No. A party cannot be represented by anyone else (including an attorney). However, you are able to talk to an attorney before or after the small claims court trial to answer questions and discuss strategy.

2 thoughts on “San Joaquin County Small Claims Court, California”

  1. To whom it may concern:
    Hello, I have an problem with walmart store when I purchase an $500 dollars gift card at walmart for my daughter for christmas gift on December 9, 20016. I gave the card to my daughter two days later when they came to my. A week later, she try to use the card at an walmart store in san jose, ca. that where she live, when she try to use it n the cashier ran the card throw, the cashier told there isn’t any cash in the card. So, I told her to sent it back to me n I will take back to the walmart where i brought it from. I receive a week later then i went n meet the first manager person working at walmart, his Devon. I told him the card i brought from this walmart did not work n ask him to look in to it to see what is going on. While he try to find out what going n look threw all the security cameras. When he did find out on the cameras footage n he say he sent all this evidences to the walmart corporate n will get back to me. I waited two or three weeks n ask him what going now, he say had sent all the evidences to them n all he get is they will look into it n will let him know too. Than, things just drag on weeks past weeks without getting any answers from them. This problems has drag on up to three months now with no solving the problem. I have been patient with up to now with nothing done by the walmart corporate peoples. Now, they say this is the problem, they say the card i have is not the same card the cashier input the cash to it? What it mean is that the card the cashier put the money in is not the card that i have. Is take this long cause they say I have switch the card n trying to scam they, that why they don’t to give my money back. I told them this is bullshit, they better give me my money or another card that is working properly but they still believe me that i telling the truth. Now, is getting no where with this stupid peoples n that why i gonna take them to court to settle this problem in court. But, I don’ know where n how to start to take them court? I need some help how I start the process taking them court. Need some advice n information how to get this process to court? Thank you.

    Mr. Xong Lo

  2. I have a small claims hearing in October. I have moved and the box with my papers has been misplaced. Could you send me my hearing date and time? I’ve tried to find it myself, with no luck
    Case name: COSI-TTC,RRD vs Sheila Abreu
    Court Case Number: STK-CV-SC-2018-0007868

    Thank you,
    Sheila Abreu


Leave a Comment