Hudson County Small Claims Court

Hudson County Small Claims Court

Hudson County Ombudsman

Each County in New Jersey has an Ombudsman. They can assist you with questions you may have about your small claims case. The ombudsman for Hudson County is Pauline D. Daniels. They can be reached at 201-217-5399. The fax number is 201-795-6603. The email address for the ombudsman is
Caution: A minor cannot file an action in small claims court on their own behalf. He or she must have their parent or guardian file it on their behalf.

Areas Served by the Hudson County Small Claims Court

The following areas are served by the Hudson County Court: Jersey City, Union City, Bayonne, North Bergen, Hoboken, West New York, Kearny, Secaucus, Harrison, Weehawken, Guttenberg, and East Newark.

Hudson Small Claims Court Appeals

If a party does not agree with the court’s decision on a case, the party can appeal the case to the Appellate Division of the Superior Court within 45 days of judgment. The appealing party needs to provide the following documents with the Clerk of the Appellate Division at the Hughes Justice Complex within the 45 days: Notice of Appeal, copy of the Request for Transcript, and Case Information Statement. You also need to provide copies to all the parties to the case (usually the opposing party or parties), the clerk of the Special Civil Part where your case was first heard, and the judge who decided the case. You must also pay a $200 filing fee with the Notice of Appeal and deposit an additional $300 with the Clerk of the Appellate Division within 30 days of the Notice of Appeal. The deposit is utilized to pay for settlement or court costs arising from the appeal. You receive the deposit back if you win your appeal. A transcript of the original trial proceedings needs to be obtained. The transcript is a copy of the record of what happened in court on the day of the trial (and reads much like a script). This can be expensive. Generally you will be required to post an estimate of the cost of the transcript or $300 for each full or partial day of trial. Due to the high expense of the appeal process (and additional time you have to wait), we encourgae all small claims litigants to have their evidence and witnesses ready and be prepared to succintly state their position to the court at the initial trial. If you have additional questions or want more information regarding appeals of New Jersey small claims court cases, you should contact the Clerk’s Office of the Appellate Division at (609) 292-4822.

What Actions are Normally Filed in Hudson Small Claims Court?

  • Breach of contract (written or oral)
  • Return of down payment
  • Damage to a Motor Vehicle
  • Damage or Loss of Personal Property
  • Faulty Workmanship, Defective Merchandise (and other consumer complaints)
  • Payment for Labor Performed
  • Checks Written Without Funds in the Account
  • Payment for Back Rent
  • Recovery of Security Deposit (Special Note: Can ask for up to and including $5,000 for recovery of a security deposit)

Claims That Should NOT be filed in Small Claims:

  • You cannot file an action alleging malpractice in Small Claims Court
  • Any action for support (either alimony or otherwise)
  • Probate matters (you are claiming you are owed under a will, trust, or other estate instrument)

Small Claims Court is one of three sections of Hudson Superior Court’s Special Civil Part (the other two sections are Landlord / Tenant and regular Special Civil Part).

Hudson County Small Claims Court

Hudson County Small Claims Court

Small Claims cases allow one party to sue another for monetary damages. Procedures for small claims court in New Jersey are much simpler than in other courts. Because of this, one is able to file and present a case quickly and inexpensively. Normally, most people file their own case and represent themselves in court (this is true even for businesses). A party can only ask the court for monetary relief not exceeding $3,000. If a party has a claim more than $3,000, but less than $15,000.01, than the case should be filed in the regular Special Civil Part. Special Note: You can file in small claims court if your claim exceeds $3,000 but you waive or forego your right to recover money in excess of the $3,000 limit (you also cannot file an additional action to recover the excess).

Location of Hudson County Small Claims Court

The Hudson County Small Claims Court is located at:

Special Civil Case Management Office
711 Administration Building
595 Newark Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07306

The Court’s telephone number is (201) 795-6680.

Can I file my case in Hudson County?

A claim can be filed in a County if at least one defendant lives there (or their business is located there). A business is located there is the business is actually conducting business in that county (“doing business”) or it is where the business’s registered office is located. For example if you want to sue your mechanic and their shop is located in Hudson County, you may file your case here. If you have a case with more than one defendant, you may file a case in a County where any of the defendants reside. If none of the defendants reside in any New Jersey County, you are then allowed to file the action where the cause of case occured. For example, if you were in a car accident in Hudson County and the defendant does not reside in New Jersey, you should file in the County where the accident occurred.

Special Civil Part in Hudson Superior Court

The Special Civil Part handles cases where the amount in controversy (amount being sought by plaintiff) is more than $3,000, but less than or equal to $15,000). The rules are more formal than in small claims. Cases exceeding $15,000 are filed in the Law Division.


  1. Phillip Kim says:

    Hello I am writing because I had some questions regarding filing a Small Claims case. I am currently working in a business based in NYC and made a transaction with an individual who resides in Union City,NJ(the products were delivered to his home). There was a breach of contract and money was never received. I wanted to clarify if I should file this case at this court or in NY. Thank you for your time.

  2. Ryan says:


    Could you please tell me if there are any charges for a plaitiff to file an initial claim in Small Claims Court?


  3. Doris Rascher says:

    I gave a home repair man $1400 to paint and do some repairs in Hoboken. I gave him the money in advance, as he did some work for me before. Well, he didn’t do the work, never answered my phonecalls, and I have no way to get in touch with him. I feel he took advantage of me and owes me the return of my money. Any suggestions?

  4. Irina says:

    Hello. Me and my husband rent a condo in Hoboken. We sign a lease with the landlord for one year. But recently, our parents want to move in this condo and live with us. Because the condo is so small for four people so we have to look for another bigger house. We inform the landlord in advance and make sure we’ll find other people to sublease the house. The landlord agree with us. Now, we have found the appropriate people who is willing to move in our current condo and willing to sign a new lease with the landlord. But, the landlord refuse to return our deposit of 3000 dollars! I want to know if I could get back my deposit and the total amount of your fee. Thank you very much.

  5. Jimmy says:

    I just lost a claim against me for a security deposit not because damages weren’t there or the tenant didn’t destroy the house but because I didn’t not send him a letter itemizing the repairs and how the deposit was spent. How can I retrive some of the loses and damages done to the property after this ?? Any information will be great fully appreciated !

  6. stacey harris says:

    Good Evening,

    How does someone have to be served?

    Thank you,

  7. Purnesh Jain says:

    I was in United States on temporary work visa and renting an apartment in Harrison, Hudson County, New Jersey. My work visa amendment was rejected in Nov 2018 and I was informed by my employers immigration attorney to leave the country. I discussed this with my landlord and we came to an agreement that I will pay 2 months rent towards the notice period (even though I will not be in the country) and after that the landlord will return the deposit amount. I have since then paid him 2 months rent and now when I have asked him to return the deposit amount he is not replying back to me. I have tried contacting him by email/phone/text message.
    What are my options here? Any advise is appreciated.

    Thank you,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *