Whitfield County Small Claims Court

Whitfield County Small Claims Court

Types of Cases Filed in Whitfield County Small Claims Court

Here are examples of cases that are often found in small claims court:

  • A tenant refuses to pay for damages which are more than the security deposit
  • Renter fails to pay rent or Owner seeks to evict renter
  • Tenant moves out and landlord refuses to return security deposit
  • Failure of a merchant to deal with faulty merchandise
  • Borrower refuses to make payments on a loan
  • Dry cleaning business damages or loses items and refuses to pay for damage or loss
  • Unnecessary repairs or work done on a car by a mechanic
  • How does the defendant learn of the case?

    After the plaintiff files the claim, the magistrate court will serve the defendant with a copy of the claim (including the sworn statement) and a summons (with the date and time of the hearng) to appear in court. The defendant has 30 days to respond or answer the claim.

    What is a default judgment and why is it bad?

    When a defendant fails to appear at the hearing or respond to the claim, the court can grant a default judgment. If a default judgment is entered, the plaintiff is awarded the amount that was requested in the claim along with court costs. If the plaintiff is asking for non-monetary damages (like property), the court has to conduct a separate hearing to determine the dollar amount of the damages. The defendant has a 30 day window to respond to plaintiff’s claim. If the defendant fails to respond, the defendant is in default.

    Procedures for the Hearing

    In some counties, the court requires both parties to attempt to resolve the case through mediation before the court will hear the case (if the mediation is unsuccessful). Mediation is a way for both parties to meet with an independent third party who can evaluate the case and try to reach a settlement that is agreeable to both parties. Even if mediation is successful, a plaintiff can still seek to recover court costs. In the event the mediation does not resolve the claim, the case will proceed to the hearing. The court will hear evidence and provide an opportunity for both the plaintiff and the defendant to introduce their evidence (and allow each side to comment on the evidence introduced by the other party). When all parties are finished presenting their evidence, the court will render a decision. The judge may award damages to the plaintiff, defendant, or both depending on the facts of the case.
    The court has several options if the plaintiff does not appear at the hearing:

    • The court can allow defendant to put on his or her evidence and then issue a decision without hearing from the plaintiff.
    • The court can continue the case to a later date
    • dismiss the case.

    If the defendant does not show at the hearing, the court has the authority to grant a default judgment against the defendant. The name comes from the fact that because the defendant does not show, the plaintiff wins the case by “default.” It is strongly recommended you attend the hearing whether you are the plaintiff or defendant (regardless of whether you believe the case to be strong or weak).

    Preparing for the Hearing

    The following steps are recommended to prepare for the hearing:

    • Make sure you have copies of all the documents you need for your case. Prepare copies to provide to the opposing party and the court.
    • Speak with all witnesses you intend to call to support your case. You should confirm they are available and willing to appear on the hearing date.
    • If a witness will not agree to appear, you need to subpoena them.
    • If you need additional documents for your case, you can issue a subpoena for those documents to obtain documents from other parties.
    • A subpoena is a command from the court for a person or documents to appear at a certain time and date to give testimony or produce evidence. You can obtain a subpoena from the Whitfield County Clerk for the Magistrate Court.

      When will my hearing date be?

      The court selects the hearing date after the defendant responds to the claim in Whitfield County. The date for the hearing is generally 15 to 30 days after the defendant files his or her answer.

      How can I file a claim?

      The plaintiff (or person filing the action) needs to file a sworn statement with the magistrate court clerk in the proper county. The sworn statement describes the charges made against the defendant (the person or business that is being sued by the plaintiff). At a minimum, the sworn statement should include the following facts:

      • Name, address, and telephone number of the plaintiff (and attorney if the plaintiff has one)
      • Include the name and street address of the defendant (this is what the court will use to serve the defendant)
      • Amount of money plaintiff is seeking (sometimes called damages)
      • Detail why the defendant is being sued (and why this defendant owes the money)
      • Copies of all relevant documents regarding the claim (for example, any contracts, receipts, etc.)
      • Can I hire an attorney?

        In County cases, you may hire an attorney to represent you but are not required to do so. You can file the case on your own (without retaining an attorney). All cases are tried and heard before a judge, without a jury. You should remember that the procedures and rules for small claims court cases are designed so that a party should not need to have to retain an expensive attorney in order for their case to be effectively presented. Sometimes, mediation is recommended or required before the judge will hear the case.

        Can I file my case in Whitfield County?

        If you are suing a person, you must file the case in the County where they live. If the defendant lives in Whitfield County, you can file the case in this County. If the person you are suing is a corporation, the case must be filed in the County where the registered agent for service of process is located. (Contact the Corporations Division of the Secretary of State either online or at 404-656-2817 to find out if a business is a corproation and the name and address of the registered agent). If the defendant is an unincorporated business (fancy for is not a corporation), file the case in the county where the business is physically located (ie. if the business is located in Whitfield County, file it here).
        Plaintiff has to also pay a filing fee which is submitted with the initial paperwork. A portion of the filing fee is for the cost for the court clerk to serve one defendant. The actual filing fee varies amongst counties but is usually between $45 and $55. If an additional defendant is named in the action, there will be an extra charge for the court to serve the additional party. This extra charge could be between $25 and $35.
        The court clerk can direct you to the necessary forms and will check them for completeness once you have filled them out. However, the clerk is prohibited by law from giving legal advice. For example, the court clerk would be able to review your completed forms to make sure your signature is in the appropriate blanks but is not able to tell you which defendant you should sue. Additionally, the clerk will not be able to tell you if they think you will win your case (so don’t bother asking).

        Whitfield County Court Location

        The magistrate court for Whitfield County is located at:

        PO Box 386
        Dalton, GA 30722

        The magistrate judge is Chief Magistrate Haynes Henton Townsend. The telephone number for the court is: 706-278-5052. The fax number is 706-278-8810.

        How do I appeal a judgment?

        If you are not happy with the court’s decision (and generally at least one party, sometimes both, are not satisfied with the judgment), the party may file an appeal (or ask a higher court to review the judgment). The appeal will be heard in the state or superior court of Whitfield County. On the appeal, either party may request a jury trial (something you cannot have at the magistrate court level). Appeals must be filed within 30 days of the judge’s decision.

        Can the Defendant sue the Plaintiff?

        The defendant is able to sue the plaintiff (this is called a counterclaim). The defendant can file this against the plaintiff’s original claim if the defendant’s claim is related to the plaintiff’s initial claim and the amount asked for by the defendant is less than $15,000. A defendant’s counterclaim is generally heard at the same time and date as the plaintiff’s original claim.

        Whitfield County Small Claims Court
        Whitfield County Small Claims Court
        Small Claims courts are also called Magistrate Courts in Whitfield County. These courts are used to resolve disputes if the parties are unable to resolve the dispute.
        Small Claims courts handle cases where the amount in dispute is less than $15,000.00. They are designed to quickly and inexpensively settle the dispute.

    4 thoughts on “Whitfield County Small Claims Court”

    1. hi i i just bought a iphone 5s from a person on facebook and ask them f the phone was unlocked and if i could use it with another service she confirmed me yes you can use it with any service so i bought it then the next day i tried putting all kinds of sims by going to different carriers to see if it would work and it didnt so i went to apple store to see what was the issue so they told me it was sprint locked, i was mad because i tried calling the person so they could tell me what was going on or if i could borrow there sims card to unlock it but no answer, then i called sprint and they told me the iphone 5s i purchase was still active which means i can get in it at all or unlock it with out her calling and deactivating it so i when on facebook and told them if they could give me money back that i paid for the iphone or call and deactivated if not i would sue them, then the person got mad and told me she was at the hospital but how iam i supposed to know, and was like ill call you back later when im out and see whats wrong and never got a call back, then there like i will call the cops and press charges on you for threatening and calling me, i dont think i was doing anything wrong for trying to contact her and asking to unlock it in order for me to use it i only told her once i was gonna sue her and then i tried being nice from there on and asking her to please call sprint and unlocking it now she wont answer me i have her number and on facebook, the sprint told me i wont be able to do nothing without the owner . what should i do i dont want to take them to court and go through all that trouble all i was is for her to deactivated and move on.can i sue for my money and court fees? can she sue?

    2. This man sold me a place telling me 15000 for it but his friend put it in his name but he wouldn’t have a problem signing the deed back over to him I gave him 10000 thousand dollars down he owned his friend 25 Hurd red dollars but didn’t pay him so his friend told him pay me my 25 Hurd red and I’ll sign deed back over he would not pay him so I’m buying for his friends but he sold me place that was not his but his friends and took my 1000 dollars can I take him to court and get it back

    3. Man sold me some land for 10000 thourdred dollars and it’s in some other man name the land and all can I take him to court and get my 10000 back

    4. I reside in California. I ordered merchandise from a company located in Whitfield County. The issue is:

      “Failure of a merchant to deal with faulty merchandise”

      Question: Would I be able to sue via small claims court from California or do I need to be there in person?


    Leave a Comment