El Dorado County Small Claims Court, California

Where are Small Claims Court Cases Heard in El Dorado County?

Small Claims Court cases are heard in 2 courthouses across the County. The website address for El Dorado County Superior Court is: www.eldoradocourt.org. Here are the following locations where small claims cases are heard:

Cameron Park Branch

The Cameron Park Branch is located at:

3321 Cameron Park Dr.
Cameron Park, CA 95682

The phone number is: 530-621-5867

South Lake Tahoe Branch

The South Lake Tahoe Branch is located at:

1354 Johnson Blvd.
So. Lake Tahoe, CA 96150

The phone number is: 530-621-5867

Filing Fee for Small Claims Court cases in El Dorado County

A filing fee is required and is set relative to the amount of money you are requesting for your claim. If a plaintiff has filed twelve or less claims over the past twelve months, the filing fees are:

  • $0 to $1,500 – $30
  • $1,500 to $5,000 – $50
  • $5,000 to $10,000 – $75

If a party has filed twelve or more small claims court actions over the last twelve months, the filing fee is $100.

Small Claims Court in El Dorado County

Small Claims Court is a special court whose purpose is to handle cases an efficient, inexpensive fashion. The rules for small claims court cases in El Dorado County are the same for any county in California. The rules are designed to be less complex and more less formal when compared to general civil cases. The person who files the lawsuit or action is called the plaintiff. The Defendant is the person or business that is being sued. In small claims court cases in California, neither party is allowed to have a lawyer represent you at the hearing. However, you are able to consult and speak with an attorney before or after the small claims court hearing.

Can I have an attorney represent me?

A party is not able to be represented by anyone else in small claims court, including an attorney or lawyer. A party can discuss the case with an attorney before or after the the case to answer questions and help a party prepare for the hearing.

Small Claims Court Hearing in El Dorado County

El Dorado County Small Claims Court
El Dorado County Small Claims Court
Small Claims Court cases are often scheduled where a number of cases will be heard in the same department at the same time (one at a time). Because the court’s schedule is very busy (and has become more busy based on state cuts to the court’s budget), the court may expect you to present your entire case in a few minutes. It is important to prepare for your case beforehand. You should bring all the paperwork that supports your claim (or defense) including receipts, contracts, photographs, invoices, and any other paperwork. Make sure you bring any witnesses you need to the hearing if they are necessary to prove your case. Being prepared for the hearing is half the battle. After the judge has heard both sides, the judge may either make a decision at the hearing or later and send notice of the ruling to the parties by mail.

Can I file my claim in El Dorado County?

Usually, a claim must be filed in the County where the person or business being sued resides. Exceptions to this include automobile accidents (which can be filed where the accident happened). A plaintiff can file a case in small claims court if the plaintiff is at least eighteen years old, or an emancipated minor. If a plaintiff is under eighteen or mentally incompetent, a judge will appoint someone (normally a relative) as a guardian ad litem. The guardian ad litem acts on behalf of the person and makes decisions specifically for that case only.

What is the most a person can sue for in El Dorado County Small Claims Court?

A person cannot sue for more than $10,000 in a case. A business can only sue for $5,000 or less in small claims court. A party can only file two actions that are more than $2,500 in a year. A person can file as many claims asking for $2,500 or less.

Statute of Limitations in Small Claims Court Cases

All cases must be filed by a certain deadline called the statute of limitations. This is a legal term which simply means the deadline for which you must file your claim. The time limit is different depending on the type of the case. If the case involves personal injury to you, the case must be filed within two years of the injury or two years of when you first learned of the injury. (A minor has two years from his or her eighteenth birthday). If an oral contract (or oral agreement) was broken, you have two years after the agreement was broken to file your case. If there is a written contract, the plaintiff has three years to file the case from the date the defendant breached the contract. If the defendant committed fraud, the plaintiff has three years from when the plaintiff first learned of the fraud. It is often difficult to find out when it is too late to file. It is better to file sooner, rather than later, and let the judge decide.

Small Claims Court Mediation

Your El Dorado County Small Claims Court cases may be sent to mediation before it is heard at the actual trial or hearing. Mediation is a legal term which means that each side will have a discussion with an impartial third party to try and reach an agreement for the outcome of the case. Mediation can occur before the trial or even on the same day as your trial. It is nothing to be scared of, just your chance to explain your side of the case to the mediator about what happened.

How long does it take my case to be heard?

Each Superior Court is responsible for one County. Time between when the case is filed to when the case is heard vary amongst each County (and even within the same County). Usually, the hearing for your small claims court case should be between twenty and seventy days after the case was filed. Because of state cuts to the El Dorado County Superior Court budget, most hearings are set well past the seventy days.

What types of cases are filed in El Dorado County Small Claims Court?

Many different types of cases can be filed in small claims court. Some common types of cases are automobile accidents, property damage incidents, homeowners association disputes, landlord tenant disputes (possible over security deposits), and contractor disputes.

4 thoughts on “El Dorado County Small Claims Court, California”

  1. We have a lease agreement from 2017 with a winery for our vineyards. The final payment of $8,750 was due Dec. 31, 2017 and was not paid. Our contract calls for “binding arbitration” for lease disputes. Who should I contact to secure this? Thank you.

  2. Do you physically have to go into the court house to file a small claim lawsuit or can it be done via mail or online?

  3. Won a small claims case years ago. Won the case but never received a penny.I had moved back to Bay area but adult children were still here for mail. Opposing party, Joseph Pestoni did get involved with EDSO or Placerville PD For robbery of gold at Bank of America. Is there any way I can get the settlement at this late date since he is now living here again.


Leave a Comment