Nassau County Small Claims Court

Nassau County Small Claims Court

What happens on day of the hearing?

We recommend arriving to court at least fifteen minutes before your hearing. When you arrive, look for the small claims court calendar (or the clerk). The calendar will list the cases that will be heard that day. They will be listed by the last name of the plaintiff and the last name of the defendant (or business name). If your case is not listed on the calendar, speak with the court clerk (or judge if there is no clerk present). Some courtrooms have the parties check in as they arrive. In others, the parties only check in when their case is called.
When the judge or clerk calls your case, you should be prepared to tell the judge if you are ready for the case to proceed, ask for a continuance if you want one (and be ready to state a good reason for one), or any other request you may need to make. If both parties are ready, the case will proceed.

Beginning a Small Claims Court Case

The case has to be filed at the court location. Visit the court for that town or village, and the court will provide you with the paperwork to begin the action. One section of the form will ask for a statement of the case. This is the term the court uses to ask what your case is about. Your statement of the case should be concise but still include all the important facts. You may be entitled to interest if the basis for your case is property damage or based on a contract. Most courts have a clerk who can assist you to ensure you follow the procedures (and answer questions). In the few courts that do not have clerks, the judge can assist you.
The clerk will provide the time and date for the small claims court hearing. The clerk will “serve” the notice of claim by mailing it to the defendant (this is what part of your filing fee funds). This notice informs a defendant the time and location of the hearing and states the reason for the claim being made by plaintiff. The clerk will provide ths notice through mail–both certified and first-class. Once 21 days have passed, the defendant is deemed “served” unless the first-class item was returned undeliverable. If the defendant cannot be served by mail, the clerk can provide you with instructions on how to serve the defendant personally (the clerk will give you a new hearing date and time). Due Process (a fancy way of saying fairness) requires that the defendant be served prior to a hearing on your case. If service has not been completed within four months of filing, the claim will be dismissed. However, if you learn new information of the defendant’s location, you can refile in that court (or the new court where the defendant is now located).

How do I file a counterclaim against the plaintiff?

As a defendant, you can file a counterclaim against the plaintiff (in which you assert that plaintiff owes you money). The counterclaim needs to be filed within five days of your notice of the case, or the court may continue the hearing to a later date. The filing fee for a counterclaim is $3.00. Note: you can still file your claim after the five day window, but the judge then has the option of pushing back the hearing date (but no longer than twenty days). As the plaintiff, you have a right to ask for a continuance in this case.

Small Claims Court Appeals for Nassau County Cases

The window for filing an appeal is thirty days from the judgment (or thirty-five if you received the judgment in the mail). There are additional fees you need to file as well as determining whether a transcript of the case needs to be ordered. Consult with an attorney when you are deciding if you should file an appeal. Remember, an appellate court will only overturn a judgment if the ruling is “clearly erroneous.” Some parties benefit from consulting with an attorney prior to filing an appeal (to determine if it is even worthwhile).

Where are the Small Claims Courts located in Nassau County?

Every town and village of Nassau County has its own small claims court to handle cases arising in that location. In Nassau County, there are [COURTSNUM] separate courts for the following villages or towns:Atlantic Beach Village, Baxter Estates Village, Bayville Village, Bellerose Village, Brookville Village, Cedarhurst Village, Centre Island Village, Cove Neck Village, East Hills Village, East Rockaway Village, East Williston Village, Farmingdale Village, Floral Park Village, Flower Hill Village, Freeport Village, Garden City Village, Great Neck Estates Village, Great Neck Plaza Village, Great Neck Village, Hempstead Village, Hewlett Bay Park Village, Island Park Village, Kensington Village, Kings Point Village, Lake Success Village, Lattingtown Village, Laurel Hollow Village, Lawrence Village, Lynbrook Village, Malverne Village, Manorhaven Village, Massapequa Park Village, Matinecock Village, Mill Neck Village, Mineola Village, Munsey Park Village, Muttontown Village, New Hyde Park Village, North Hills Village, Old Brookville Village, Old Westbury Village, Oyster Bay Cove Village, Plandome Heights Village, Plandome Manor Village, Plandome Village, Port Washington North Village, Rockville Centre Village, Roslyn Estates Village, Roslyn Harbor Village, Roslyn Village, Russell Gardens Village, Saddle Rock Village, Sands Point Village, Sea Cliff Village, South Floral Park Village, Stewart Manor Village, Upper Brookville Village, Valley Stream Village, Westbury Village, Williston Park Village, and Woodsburgh Village.

The locations for the courts are:

Atlantic Beach Village Court

65 The Plaza
P.O. Box 189
Atlantic Beach, NY 11509

Baxter Estates Village Court

315 Main Street
Port Washington, NY 11050

Bayville Village Court

34 School Street
Bayville, NY 11709

Bellerose Village Court

50 Superior Road
Bellerose Village, NY 11001

Brookville Village Court

PO Box 227, Route 106
East Norwich, NY 11732

Cedarhurst Village Court

200 Cedarhurst Avenue
Cedarhurst, NY 11516

Centre Island Village Court

303 Centre Island Rd
Oyster Bay, NY 11771

Cove Neck Village Court

2 Cove Neck Road
P.O. Box 299
Oyster Bay, NY 11771

East Hills Village Court

209 Harbor Hill Rd
East Hills, NY 11576

East Rockaway Village Court

376 Atlantic Avenue
PO Box 189
East Rockaway, NY 11518

East Williston Village Court

P.O. Box 95
East Norwich, NY 11732

Farmingdale Village Court

361 Main Street
Village Hall
Farmingdale, NY 11735

Floral Park Village Court

1 Floral Blvd
Floral Park, NY 11002

Flower Hill Village Court

1 Bonnie Heights Road
Manhasset, NY 11030

Freeport Village Court

40 North Ocean Avenue
Freeport, NY 11520

Garden City Village Court

349 Stewart Avenue
Garden City, NY 11530

Great Neck Estates Village Court

4 Gateway Drive
Village Office
Great Neck, NY 11021

Great Neck Plaza Village Court

Gussack Plaza
PO Box 440
Great Neck, NY 11022

Great Neck Village Court

61 Baker Hill Road
Great Neck, NY 11023

Hempstead Village Court

99 Nichols Court
Hempstead, NY 11551

Hewlett Bay Park Village Court

30 Piermont Avenue
Hewlett, NY 11557

Island Park Village Court

127 Long Beach Road
Island Park, NY 11558

Kensington Village Court

2 Nassau Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021

Kings Point Village Court

32 Steppingstone Lane
Kings Point, NY 11024

Lake Success Village Court

15 Vanderbilt Drive
Lake Success, NY 11020

Lattingtown Village Court

PO Box 201
Locust Valley, NY 11560

Laurel Hollow Village Court

1492 Laurel Hollow Road
Syosset, NY 11791

Lawrence Village Court

196 Central Avenue
Lawrence, NY 11559

Lynbrook Village Court

1 Columbus Drive
Lynbrook, NY 11563

Malverne Village Court

99 Church Street
Malverne, NY 11565

Manorhaven Village Court

33 Manorhaven Blvd.
Port Washington, NY 11050

Massapequa Park Village Court

151 Front Street
Village Hall
Massapequa Park, NY 11762

Matinecock Village Court

Duck Pond Road
P.O. Box 227
East Norwich, NY 11732

Mill Neck Village Court

32 Frost Mill Road
PO Box 232
Millneck, NY 11765

Mineola Village Court

155 Washington Avenue
Mineola, NY 11501

Munsey Park Village Court

1777 Northern Boulevard
Manhasset, NY 11030

Muttontown Village Court

1763 Rt. 106
Syosset, NY 11791

New Hyde Park Village Court

1420 Jericho Turnpike
New Hyde Park, NY 11040

North Hills Village Court

1 Shelter Rock Road
Roslyn, NY 11576

Old Brookville Village Court

201 Mccouns Lane
P.O. Box 436
Old Brookville, NY 11545

Old Westbury Village Court

1 Store Hill Road
Old Westbury, NY 11568

Oyster Bay Cove Village Court

25-Route 25A
Village Hall
Oyster Bay Cove, NY 11771

Plandome Heights Village Court

37 Orchard Street
Manhasset, NY 11030

Plandome Manor Village Court

55 Manhasset Avenue
Manhasset, NY 11030

Plandome Village Court

65 South Drive
PO Box 930
Plandome, NY 11030

Port Washington North Village Court

71 Old Shore Road
Port Washington, NY 11050

Rockville Centre Village Court

One College Place
PO Box 950
Rockville Centre, NY 11571

Roslyn Estates Village Court

25 The Tulips
Roslyn, NY 11576

Roslyn Harbor Village Court

500 Motts Cove Road South
Roslyn Harbor, NY 11576

Roslyn Village Court

1200 Old Northern Blvd
Roslyn, NY 11576

Russell Gardens Village Court

6 Tain Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021

Saddle Rock Village Court

18 Masefield Way
Saddle Rock, NY 11023

Sands Point Village Court

Tibbits Lane
Sands Point, NY 11050

Sea Cliff Village Court

P.O. Box 340
Sea Cliff, NY 11579

South Floral Park Village Court

383 Roquette Avenue
South Floral Park, NY 11001

Stewart Manor Village Court

120 Covert Avenue
Stewart Manor, NY 11530

Upper Brookville Village Court

Planting Fields Arboretum Annex Building
PO Box 436
Glen Head, NY 11545

Valley Stream Village Court

123 So Central Avenue
Valley Stream, NY 11580

Westbury Village Court

235 Lincoln Place
Westbury, NY 11590

Williston Park Village Court

494 Willis Avenue
Williston Park, NY 11596

Woodsburgh Village Court

30 Piermont Avenue
Hewlett, NY 11557

Can I file my small claims case in County?

You must bring your action in the municipality (location – village or town) in which the person or business you are suing resides (lives) or has an office open for business.

Small Claims Court Terms

A party is one a person, business entity, or public entity that is named as a plaintiff or defendant in a case. The plaintiff (sometimes referred to as a claimant) is the person (or entity) that begins the lawsuit (by a filing at the courthouse). A defendant is the person or entity being sued (person who owes money). Sometimes, a third party (not the plaintiff or defendant) is brought into the case where a defendant files a third party claim asserting that another party is responsible for plaintiff’s damages. A defendant who is interested in filing a third party action should contact the clerk of the local court for the property procedures and filing fees.

Can I ask for a continuance?

In small claims court cases, a continuance can also be called an adjournment. The court generally discourages continuances in the interest of resolving disputes quickly and inexpensively. Only the court can give you a continuance (even if you have talked to the other party and agreed to a later date). A party can ask for a continuance by requesting one through the mail. You should also send a copy of the request to all the other parties in the case. A party may also request a continuance on the actual hearing date, but a judge may be inclined to deny this request (and you should be prepared to go forward if the judge does not grant one).

What happens if I don’t show up for the hearing?

If the plaintiff fails to appear at the hearing, the case is dismissed. If the defendant fails to appear at the hearing, the court may grant a default judgment based on the evidence that the plaintiff presented. Court rules require that the judge not enter a default judgment until one hour after the time set for the hearing.

Should I use mediation for my small claims case?

Mediation is one way the court offers to try and settle your case without a trial. Mediation is a confidential way to try and resolve the case. It involves a mediator who will try and bring the plaintiff and defendant together to agree on a result that is fair to all (or, more likely, somewhat fair to each party). In Nassau County, the mediation provider is:

Long Island Dispute Resolution Centers
Education and Assistance Corporation, Inc.

1 thought on “Nassau County Small Claims Court”

Leave a Comment