Hamilton County Small Claims Court

Hamilton County Small Claims Court

What do I do on the hearing date?

You should arrive at least fifteen minutes prior to the time designated for your hearing. When you arrive, you should look for the small claims court calendar or for a clerk to assist you. On the calendar, cases are listed by the last name of the plaintiff and then the defendant (or name of the business). If you cannot find your case, you should contact the clerk (or judge if there is no clerk). Courtrooms have different procedures. In some courtrooms, the clerk checks in parties as they arrive. Some courts simply have you wait until your case is called.
When your case is called, you may ask the court for a continuance or adjournment or any other request. If both parties are ready to proceed, the case will go forward.

Can I sue in small claims court?

The small claims court is available to any person who has reached the age of majority (18 years or older). If you are a younger than 18, the parent or guardian may bring the action on your behalf. Corporate entities, partnerships, and other entities cannot file in small claims court. Their actions must be filed in Commercial Claims Court. These entities can only act as defendants in small claims court. However, these entities are able to be sued in small claims court by people. When a business, corporation, or other entity is sued, the entity is able to authorize a person (usually an employee, director, or attorney) to appear on its behalf.

How do I find the correct name for the Defendant?

If the defendant is a person, your job is pretty easy. Use the first and last name of the defendant (do not use their nickname). The court will also ask for the address of the defendant (to send the notice of the small claims court case and hearing). For businesses, it can be a little more tricky. If you contact the Hamilton County Clerk’s Office, they will be able to provide you with the proper business name.

What is arbitration?

Abitration is a type of dispute resolution that is less-formal than a trial, but more formal than mediation. In arbitration, a person (called an arbitrator who is usually an attorney) will hear evidence of the case that each party presents. The arbitrator will then weigh the evidence with the law and issue a final judgment. Arbitration can only be used when all parties agree (as the outcome is binding on all parties). If you do choose arbitration, your case can be heard far quicker than waiting for a judge to hear it (which is something to keep in mind if you want a quick resolution to your case). Arbitrators use the same law as the small claims court judge. When an arbitrator decides your case, the decision is final. There is no appeal-by either party.

Hamilton County Small Claims Court

Hamilton County Small Claims Court
Hamilton County Small Claims Court
Small Claims Court cases are heard in the town or village court for Hamilton County. The limit a plaintiff can ask for is $3,000. The purpose of small claims court and the motivation behind the relaxed evidentiary rules and procedures is to allow these cases to be resolved informally and without making a party hire an attorney. Note: If you have a claim for more than $3,000, you cannot separate it into two claims to be under the limit. The only form of relief you can sue for is monetary. A party cannot sue to ask the court to order a defendant to take action (ie. fulfill the terms of an advertisement). You can only sue to recover money. A party may sue a municipality or other public entity. The law requires you to file a claim with that entity within 90 days of the incident which gives rise to your claim. If you do not do this, your case can be dismissed.

Small Claims Court Lingo

A party is one a person, business entity, or public entity that is named as a plaintiff or defendant in a case. The plaintiff (sometimes referred to as a claimant) is the person (or entity) that begins the lawsuit (by a filing at the courthouse). The defendant is the party who is being sued. A third party is also sometimes brought into a case by a defendant if the defendant feels that the third party may be wholly or partly responsible for plaintiff’s claims. If you are interested in filing a third party claim (as a defendant), contact the local clerk for the filing fees and local procedures.

Hamilton County Small Claims Court Locations

Every town and village of Hamilton County has its own small claims court to handle cases arising in that location. Hamilton County Small Claims Cases are handled in 9 locations for the following towns and villages: Arietta Town, Benson Town, Hope Town, Indian Lake Town, Inlet Town, Lake Pleasant Town, Long Lake Town, Morehouse Town, and Wells Town.

Here are the court locations:

Arietta Town Court

Old Piseco Road
PO Box 4
Piseco, NY 12139

Benson Town Court

P.O. Box 1017
Northville, NY 12134

Hope Town Court

548 St Rt 30
Town Hall
Northville, NY 12134

Indian Lake Town Court

Town Hall, Pelon Road
P.O. Box 730
Indian Lake, NY 12842

Inlet Town Court

160 Route 28
Municipal Building
Inlet, NY 13360

Lake Pleasant Town Court

PO Box 358
Speculator, NY 12164

Long Lake Town Court

PO Box 697
Town Hall
Long Lake, NY 12847

Morehouse Town Court

PO Box 5
Hoffmeister, NY 13353

Wells Town Court

1382 State Route 30
P.O. Box 222
Wells, NY 12190

How do I counterclaim against the plaintiff?

As a defendant, you can file a counterclaim against the plaintiff (in which you assert that plaintiff owes you money). The counterclaim needs to be filed within five days of your notice of the case, or the court may continue the hearing to a later date. The filing fee for a counterclaim is $3.00. A defendant can file a counterclaim after the five day window, however, the plaintiff can ask for a later hearing date (to allow the plaintiff to prepare to respond to the counterclaim) or the court may set a later hearing date on its own.

What is mediation?

Mediation is an attempt to settle your case without a trial. It is a consifential way to resolve the case. Mediation involved a person acting as a mediator who will try and bring opposing parties to an agreement that all the parties can agree to. In Hamilton County, mediation services are provided by:

North Country Conflict Resolution Services
Rural Law Center of New York, Inc.
22 U.S. Oval, Suite 203

2 thoughts on “Hamilton County Small Claims Court”

  1. Is the paperwork to start a Small Claim available online or do I need to go to the Hamilton County office building to file?
    Thank you.

  2. Could you email the necessary forms to file a small claim against the Inlet Marina Motel in Inlet, NY Also, what is the legal name of the above establishment so I get it right on the form.


Leave a Comment