Camden County Small Claims Court

Camden County Small Claims Court

Ombudsman for Camden Small Claims Court

Each County has an Ombudsman assigned to assist small claims litigants (amongst other responsibilities). Part of their job responsibilities is to assist you with questions with your small claims court case. The ombudsman for Camden County is Vannessa Ravenelle. They can be reached at 856-379-2238. The fax number is 856-379-2278. The email address for the Camden County Ombudsman is

What areas are served by the Camden County Court?

Camden Court serves the following locations in Camden County: Camden, Cherry Hill, Gloucester Township, Winslow Township, Pennsauken Township, Voorhees Township, Lindenwold, Haddon Township, Collingswood, Haddonfield, Bellmawr, Gloucester City, Waterford Township, Pine Hill, Audubon, Runnemede, Berlin, Haddon Heights, Stratford, Barrington, Berlin Township, Somerdale, Clementon, Mount Ephraim, Magnolia, Oaklyn, Merchantville, Woodlynne, Lawnside, Gibbsboro, Brooklawn, Laurel Springs, Chesilhurst, Audubon Park, Hi-Nella, Pine Valley, and Tavistock.

Camden Small Claims Court Appeals

If a party does not agree with the court’s decision on a case, the party can appeal the case to the Appellate Division of the Superior Court within 45 days of judgment. You need to file a Notice of Appeal, a copy of the Request for Transcript, and a Case Information Statement within the 45 days with the Clerk of the Appellate Division located at the Hughes Justice Complex, Trenton. Copies of these documents need to be provided to all the parties to the case, to the clerk of the Special Civil Part and the judge where the case was heard. Additionally, the person seeking an appeal has to pay a filing fee of $200. An additional deposit of $300 is required to be posted within 30 days (of the Notice of Appeal). The deposit is utilized to pay for settlement or court costs arising from the appeal. You receive the deposit back if you win your appeal. Additionally, you need to obtain a copy of the transcript from the original trial. A transcript is a written copy of the proceedings that occured at the trial. Transcripts can be very expensive. You are usually ordered to pay the estimate of the cost of making the transcrip or charged $300 for each day or partial day of trial. Because of the expense of an appeal, it is very important to ensure you are ready and prepared for the original trial – to save you the time and headaches of appealing an incorrect ruling. Additional information and answer to most questions can be found by contacting the Office of the Clerk of the Appellate Division for New Jersey at (609) 292-4822.

Claims NOT handled in Camden County Small Claims Court

  • Malpractice (alleged malpractice by a doctor, lawyer, dentist, etc.)
  • You cannot file an action for support (child) or alimony.
  • You cannot file an action claiming you are owed money under a probate instrument (will or trust).

Special Note: If someone is under 18, the parent or guardian must file the small claims court action on the minor’s behalf.
Small Claims Court is one of three sections of Camden Superior Court’s Special Civil Part (the other two sections are Landlord / Tenant and regular Special Civil Part).

Camden County Small Claims Court
Camden County Small Claims Court
Small Claims is a court where someone (the plaintiff) may bring an action against another person (the defendant) for money the plaintiff believes the defendant owes for one reason or another. Small Claims cases are designed to follow rules and procedures that are much simpler and easier to understand than a regular civil case. This makes it that a non-attorney is able to file a case and present it quickly and without needing to learn lots of legal terminology and procedures. Generally, people file their own cases and represent themselves in court. A party can only ask the court for monetary relief not exceeding $3,000. If a party has a claim more than $3,000, but less than $15,000.01, than the case should be filed in the regular Special Civil Part. Word of Caution: If your claim is for more than $3,000, you can file it in small claims court, but you give up your right to collect any money in excess of $3,000. You cannot recoup this excess in a separate or subsequent action.

Types of Claims Filed in Small Claims Court in Camden County

  • Breach of contract (written or oral)
  • Action for the Return of a Down Payment
  • Damage to a Motor Vehicle
  • Damage or Loss of Personal Property
  • Consumer complaints of faulty workmanship or defective merchandise
  • Payment for Labor Performed
  • Action for Payment on NSF Check
  • Back Rent
  • Return of security deposit (remember special rule can sue up to and including $5,000)

Should I file my small claims case in Camden County?

A claim can be filed in a County if at least one defendant lives there (or their business is located there). The location of a business is whichever county it is actually doing business or where the business’s registered office is located. For example, if you entered into a contract with someone and they live in Camden County, you can file the case in this County. If there are several defendants in a case, it is persmissible to file the action in any County where a defendant resides. If no defendants in the case live in a New Jersey County, the claim needs to be filed in the County where the action arose.

Camden County Special Civil Part

The Special Civil Part handles cases where the amount in controversy (amount being sought by plaintiff) is more than $3,000, but less than or equal to $15,000). The rules are more formal than in small claims. If a case exceeds $15,000, the appropriate location to file the case is the Law Division of Camden Superior Court.

Location of Camden County Small Claims Court

The Camden County Small Claims Courthouse is located at:

Hall of Justice
Camden County Hall of Justice
101 S. 5th Street, Suite 150
Camden, NJ 08103-4001

The Court’s telephone number is (856) 379-2202.

12 thoughts on “Camden County Small Claims Court”

  1. I am trying to get the proper small claims forms sent to me so I can file. I left a message for Ms.Ravenelle to call me.I have a couple of questions I need answered. Please call me at 856-227-6529. Thank you, Ed Gormley

  2. Good afternoon, I need to come file papers to sue a former friend for 4,900 for a car I sold to him. I was going to come up today after work to file these papers, was wondering what time you are open until.

    Please respond as soon as possible so I know to make my way over or not.

    Your response is greatly appreciated!

    Thank you

  3. Ms Vannessa Ravenelle ,my name is Shayne Smith and I’m writing for some information pertaining to a civil action..It may be in the courts Special Civil Part..Thank You for your time and any / all help / information you could provide..
    Thank You once again

  4. I would like to file a small claims suit against a party that received a wire transfer from me because her boyfriend worked for a delivery company and he sent me the wire details directly to my email and when she received the funds from my bank she sent them to her boyfriend directly. The fraud department of my bank tried to intervene but we found out she had emptied her bank account and there were no funds in it to reimburse me for the fraudulent email sent to me. The amount was $2500 and she told me her friend was going to send the money back to me which he never did. My wire was sent from my NJ bank to her CT bank. How do I file a suit against her as she lives in Connecticut.

  5. Hello. I received a summons for 10/3/18 however I was just on vacation for my sons wedding and unable to take of that day. How do I go about postponing and am I able to? Thank you

  6. I have a couple questions and would like the proper forms to file a small claims case for work that was done on a house that we haven’t been paid for. If you could get back to me at your earliest convenience that would be greatly appreciated thank you. My number is 484 358 9880

  7. Please email me the proper forms and procedures for taking a local RV business to court. I am suing for approximately $1500 due to an RV I purchased online and after receiving it we had to make repairs, item was not in the condition I was told it would be. Thank you for your help.

  8. I see you don’t monetize,
    don’t waste your traffic, you can earn extra cash every month with new monetization method.
    This is the best adsense alternative for any
    type of website (they approve all websites), for more details simply search
    in gooogle: murgrabia’s tools


Leave a Comment